Monday, March 15, 2010

On Charge!

I still haven't had time to pull pictures together for a full St. Michel report.  Here's one brief story from the weekend:

My son brought one of his gaming college friends along for his first time at the convention.  Having heard from my son beforehand about the NQSYW and having been press-ganged immediately upon arrival into filling out Scenario 3, he asked afterward about why he hadn't seen too many other Charge! games going on.  My son's reply: "Dad and Ross are like people who take their antique car out for a ride now and then."  I must admit that I'm so used to doing these games that I don't think of Old School Gaming in quite that way, although a famous gamer wandered by in the middle of things and opined that "Charge! projects are like the weather; everybody talks about it, but nobody does anything."

Upon reflection, I don't recall seeing many (if any) other Charge! games at our conventions.  Perhaps I should wonder why we don't have emulators?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, but you're young at heart. Best of luck with the very interesting project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be fair, I don't think I saw any other 40+ year old rules being played although in other years there have been special "retro" or "history of wargaming" events. We may be impressed by the sophistication and elegance of design but most people see what's not obviously there and miss that the game works better than most despite not having the superficial elements that the modern gamer is to expect.

    ReplyDelete