Sunday, April 28, 2019

A Slight Excess of Inspiration


April has generally not been a good month for miniatures gaming in general, although we did get that 40mm Not Quite Seven Years War game in last weekend.  In painting, I have casually been working on a group of figures intended for some sort of urban fantasy game, although whether it will turn out to be a role playing game or some sort of skirmish war-game remains to be seen.  An urban mat from Cigar Box Battles arrived recently, although I haven't yet started on any of the card buildings to develop it.  

Of the group shown here, the two in the back were previously shown, and were my test figures from the Hero Forge custom miniatures service.  I am trying to be good about that, and only order them as fast as I am painting them, so they were duly followed by a second order for three figures late last fall, just before moving occupied my time.

The front row includes the first of those three, Violet with her exotic pet, and three Reaper figures from their Chronoscope range.  

Friends, Foes, or Bystanders? As yet, unknown...

But at least I know their names...
However, the combination of a 40mm game on the table and the arrival of A Gentleman's War (AGW) has apparently got my Muse working overtime, since I started thinking about dusting off my long-neglected French Revolution figures to use with the rules.  According to my records, I haven't had them on the table in the entire ten years I've been keeping this blog, although my son did run a game at Cold Wars a few years back.  With the Scarlet Pimpernel scenarios we were using, we already have a selection of unusual and personality figures to use with the Cameo Roles rules from AGW, and I'll have to see what else I can create.

That sent me digging through the basement to see whether I had any castings left over from the last round of work on the project.  Now, my painted figures are reasonably well labeled and sorted into storage boxes for easy deployment, but the unpainted figures, especially home cast ones, are generally not.  It took several hours of search to conclude that I have only a handful of potential new recruits, but at least I now know where all the 40mm Renaissance expansion figures are, and have collected the 40mm NQSYW figures into one location.  I set aside what French Revolution expansion pieces I had, and also found some partially painted NQSYW figures to work on while the FRs are being assembled.

I don't know if it's possible to have too many miniatures, but, if it were, being unable to find them when the Muse provides inspiration would likely be a sign...At least the collection of molds for casting more is well organized, so I shall hope for some good weather in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment