Monday, November 4, 2013

Fresh Hordes

The paper models stayed on the shelf this weekend, and the paintbrushes remained in the holder. Both of my sons were home in conjunction with having friends over for dinner, and William was busy with homework.
Nevertheless, Norman and I found time for a Hordes of the Things session on Sunday morning. Both of us have painted new troops since the last time we played, so we wanted to try them out in combat. We fought three games, all with different army match-ups.

Game 1 pitted his mostly rider-based fantasy Mongols against a ragtag band of my miscellaneous fantasy stands. I managed to summon a dragon, which took out a rider and a hero before fleeing after a wound. I remain dubious about the use of dragons in HotT....Still, I won that fight.




The second game pitted the same raggle-taggle fantasy army
against Norman's fantasy Byzantines. Once more, I managed to get my dragon into play early.




I even managed a flanking maneuver, causing his general to turn to face, subject to destruction if forced to recoil. The first game wore out my luck for the day, though, and my dragon was sent fleeing from some doubtless minor wound. With that, Norman rolled up the remainder of my resistance in short order.




After a brief break, we went for a tie-breaker, pitting his
Antediluvian army against a force
of my recently rebased Carthaginians. We ended up with a clash of phalanxes, which was
broken when his hero worked his way around to the back of my line and blocked the retreat of my commander's phalanx. With the resulting loss of my general, my army disintegrated.




All in all, a pleasant gaming interlude, my 29th for the year...

No comments:

Post a Comment